Thursday, March 15, 2007

Celebrity Sightings!

My goodness. Last night I went to see Freedom Writers (more on that in a minute), and as I walked around town with my friend we saw a ridiculous number of celebrities. Well. Semi-ridiculous. And I should pre-cursor this by saying that one of them really really doesn't count in my opinion but my friend said "she had a photo spread in the Sunday World magazine!!!" - and one of them is just a silly Irish celeb therefore doesn't hold much weight with me, but I'll carry on any.

Ok, first we were in the Jervis Centre and (this is the one who I don't think counts in the SLIGHTEST before you start abusing me) Al noticed that Rachel Keogh had been stopped by a shopper to be told he was glad to see she seemed like she was doing well. You may remember Rachel from those horrific photos in the Indo last year, she was a heroin addict who had completely destroyed her arms and she was on the run as she felt that prison was not the place she would manage to get clean. Anyway there was the aforementioned spread in the Sunday World about her last week and it would seem that she's doing very well. She looked well too in fairness to her.

Ok, so then we got to the cinema and as we walked towards the cinema Brendan Courtney was walking towards us. Big whoop.

We sat down outside screen 9 as we waited for the staff to finish cleaning it, and I realised there was a screening on for Amazing Grace on. Once I got over the rage that there was a screening on that I wasn't going to (launchwhores, please reflect my fury), I noticed that Welsh HOTTIE Ioan Gruffudd was walking towards me. Oh my. He is HOT!! And Al observed that his suit would be worth about 4 grand. Good work Al.

Then as we strolled towards our Bentley (by which I mean scurried towards the bus) we passed Stephen Rea of "almost as many Irish films as Colm Meaney" fame. (Now in fairness thats an understatement he's a Tony award nominated actor and he's bloody amazing):

Now. I am aware that these are not A-listers. However, for one night in Dublin I reckon thats pretty good going!

As for Freedom Writers, I have three things to say.

1) I love a good triumph over adversity movie more than the next person (although they're better when they triumph over adversity through the medium of song or dance), so of course I like this film. But...
2) Hilary Swank is just well...she's a little annoying. And while she's striking, she's not in any way pretty or sexy. She has distractingly large teeth and I think she'll always be Brandon Tina to me to be honest.
3) This film was pretty saccharine even for me, like cheesetastic puts it mildly. However there was one scene where I literally had tears streaming down my face as did the two girls beside me and the two in front of me (I'll protect your manliness Al and pretend you weren't moved). Its enjoyable, but a little long, and if you have an aversion to cheese don't bother you'll only want to throw popcorn at the screen.

No comments: