Sunday, April 01, 2007

Once


Last night a friend and I went to see Once, an Irish film which won the World Cinema Audience Award for a dramatic film at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. I had heard great reviews but I was still feeling a little bit apprehensive about it. Irish people tend to get very very excited about anything Irish, so I wondered if we were just getting hyped up about our little creation. I was wrong.

It is a film based around two musicians once of whom is Glenn Hansard, the lead singer of an Irish band, The Frames. I like the Frames. I like Glenn. I've seen The Frames in concert many times and Glenn on his own once. I'm a fan. But even having a good knowledge of his music and style didn't prepare me for the beauty of the songs he performed (along with co-star Markéta Irglová) and how powerful they could be in the context of the film. It is just beautiful. The characters are so true, from the two leads to Glenn's character's father. I really hope this film is going to be released worldwide because it is just gorgeous. I left the cinema really feeling something. So...go see it!

For anyone who has seen it - I would like to know why I am never invited to parties like this:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're going out together in real life. And she's only 19. Scandal.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Email me at john.maybee@fox.com to discuss ONCE. I am working on the film.